The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) governs how the University of Melbourne is to respond to requests for access to documents held by the University.
The principal officer at the University of Melbourne (the Chancellor) has authorised the University Secretary to make decisions in respect of requests for documents made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).
The Freedom of Information Coordinator within Legal and Risk, University Services provides guidance on all aspects of freedom of information.
University staff and students must comply with University policies.
Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC)
From the 1st of September 2017 the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) will replace the Victorian Freedom of Information Commissioner.
The Commissioner is responsible for conducting reviews of FOI decisions by agencies, handling FOI complaints, monitoring agencies compliance, reporting to Parliament on the operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and providing advice and guidance to agencies and the public on Victoria's FOI regime.
Freedom of Information Victoria provides assistance and general information to help the public access government documents by using the Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982.
Freedom of Information Part II statements
These statements outline how the University is satisfying its legal obligation to make information readily available to the public:
- The organisation and functions of the University - Statement 1 lists out the objects of the University as provided in the Act.
- Categories of documents - Statement 2 lists out the types of documents maintained by the University.
- Freedom of Information arrangements (How to make an FOI request) - Statement 3 lists out steps required to submit a request to access documents under the freedom of information act and the procedures involved with it.
- Publications - Statement 4 lists out the publications that the University produces.
- Policies and procedures - Statement 5 lists out the hierarchy of the act, university statutes, university policies, its guidelines, supporting documents etc.
- Report literature - Statement 6 lists out the official University publications including annual report, strategic plans and investment reports.