Lorna Stirling was a Music Director in the Melbourne University Drama Club in the 1940s. On her death in 1956 she bequeathed funds to the University for the purpose of promoting international student relationships through the creation of scholarships for the exchange of students between the University of Melbourne and other universities (University Trust record UTR7.92).
Lorna Stirling Fund Scholarships are available annually to currently enrolled students at the University of Melbourne.
One-off payments of between $500 and $4000.
In order to be considered for a scholarship you must:
- be enrolled at the University of Melbourne at the time of application and for the period of the proposed exchange or project;
- have a signed letter of support from a relevant student organisation, such as the Student Union or a Faculty-based student society; and
- demonstrate how your project is relevant to the interests of the student population at large and/or will enable mutual understanding to be established between students at the University of Melbourne and international universities.
Successful recipients are required to forward a detailed report on the success and benefits of the project to the Lorna Stirling Fund Committee via the Secretary.
Grants will not be given to students who wish to travel overseas to carry out research work or training that will form part of their degree.
Where there is strong competition for grants from students wishing to attend international student meetings, preference will be given to official student representatives at this University. Applications from individuals to participate in conferences held overseas will be considered provided the applicants can show how such participation will develop mutual understanding to this University as well as themselves.
Since the annual income of the Fund is small, only limited support can be given to student organisations to help defray the costs of running student conferences.
The Lorna Stirling Fund Scholarships are awarded by the Lorna Stirling Fund Committee which meets annually. Eligible students should read the guidelines and complete an application form and submit it to Leanne Fisher by the due date.
For further information please contact, Leanne Fisher.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 10th May, 2017, by 5.00pm. Please note that late applications will not be considered.
Awards will be granted to:
- Promote genuine student interchange and enable mutual understanding to be established between students at the University of Melbourne and international universities; OR
- Support international meetings of students (locally or overseas) in which students or student organisations and the University of Melbourne have an interest.