These terms and conditions are between you and The University of Melbourne and govern your use of each University website operated by or on behalf of the University. In addition to these terms, other supplementary terms set out on a University website may apply to your access and use of that website. By accessing and using a University website you agree to be bound by and comply with the applicable terms.
Content and copyright ownership
Copyright in each University website and content on those websites is owned by the University or its third party licensors. Some content on a University website may also be subject to other intellectual property rights held by the University or a third party.
While we endeavour to ensure that all content published on a University website is correct at the time of publishing:
- we make no warranty about the accuracy, completeness or reliability of that content;
- you must not rely on that content and should confirm the relevant information with the originating or authorising faculty, department or other body; and
- we are not responsible for the actions of third parties (including users of University websites).
Use of University websites and content
You may only use content on a University website for non-commercial purposes. Unless otherwise indicated, you may save or print out a copy of that content for your own information, research or study, provided that you:
- do not modify the content from how it appears on the University website; and
- include the copyright notice "Copyright © The University of Melbourne 1994 - 2017" on the copy.
You must not:
- use a University website or content on a University website for any purpose which is unlawful or does not comply with these terms or any supplementary terms;
- exercise the copyright in the whole or any part of a University website except as permitted by statute or with the University's prior consent;
- post any content on a University website that infringes a third party’s intellectual property rights or is defamatory, abusive or obscene;
- use automated means to retrieve information from a University website without our permission, for example, ‘scraping’;
- post or otherwise submit any software, code or routine that is harmful or interferes with the operation or activities of a University website;
- decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer the software or services relating to a University website;
- use a University website or information on a University website for the purposes or generating ‘spam’, or submit ‘spam’ through a University website; or
- do anything which would impose an unreasonably large or disproportionate load on the University’s networks or interfere with the University’s network security.
Links to third party websites
Where a link to a third party website appears on a University website:
- we do not endorse, recommend or support the linked website or any information, opinions, or goods and services made available on it;
- these terms will not apply to the linked website and you should review the terms applicable to the linked website before using it;
- we have no control over the information, content or activities of the linked website and your access to and use of the linked website is at your own risk; and
- we make no representations or warranties as to, and we are not responsible for, the accuracy or any other aspect of the information on the linked website.
Copyright problems and non-compliant content
Where the University determines that content or links on a University website do not comply with its terms or applicable laws we may immediately remove that content and block the relevant user’s access to that University website without notice.
You can report a copyright problem or non-compliant content or links on a University website by emailing email@example.com. Please include your name, address, phone number and email address in the request, along with the relevant University website address, a description of the problem, the copyright owner and (where applicable) your capacity to act on their behalf, and any supporting information that might be of assistance.
Further information about copyright and intellectual property can be found here:
- Copyright information for staff and students, including digital copyright and information about photocopying, audio-visual materials, course notes and other materials;
- Requesting permission to use copyright material
- Academic honesty and plagiarism information for students and staff.
- Intellectual property management for researchers and clients of the University.
- Compliance Program home page.
To the extent permitted by law:
- all conditions, warranties, guarantees, rights, remedies, liabilities or other terms that may be implied or conferred by statute, custom or the general law that impose any liability or obligation on the University in relation to a University website or its content are expressly excluded under these and any supplementary terms; and
- the University has no liability to you or anyone else (including in negligence) for any type of loss, however incurred, in connection with your use of a University website or its content, including (without limitation) loss of profits, loss of revenue, loss of goodwill, loss of customers, loss of or damage to reputation, loss of capital, downtime costs, loss under or in relation to any other contract, loss of data, loss of use of data or any direct, indirect, economic, special or consequential loss, harm, damage, cost or expense (including legal fees).
Governing law and compliance
You must comply with all laws applicable to your access and use of a University website. If you access a University website from outside Australia you must comply with all laws in that country which apply to that access and use.
These terms, the supplementary terms and your use of each University website are governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia and you irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Victoria, Australia.
Changes to Terms
We may change these terms and any supplementary terms on a University website at any time without notice to you.
If there are inconsistencies between these terms and any supplementary terms, these terms will take precedence unless otherwise indicated.