Take your painting skills to the next level, develop your own visual language and gain invaluable exhibiting experience.
Visual Art Studio: Contemporary Painting will help you develop fundamental artistic skills and knowledge and deepen your appreciation of contemporary art.
Located in the University of Melbourne's renowned arts precinct at Southbank, this intensive, part-time, year-long course is designed to provide adults who have completed Visual Art Studio: Painting Techniques with a foundation in the practice and study of fine art.
You will have the opportunity to develop painting projects that incorporate new ideas and techniques, drawing on the supportive and critical encouragement of your tutor, practising artist and educator.
The class explores a wide range of practical methods including the use of oil and acrylic paint as well as the preparation of a variety of painting surfaces including canvas, wood and paper. You will also gain an understanding of the ways artists, of both national and international significance, are working with painting today.
The program culminates in an end-of-year exhibition, where you will have the opportunity to publicly exhibit your work.
I’ve learnt different approaches to contemporary painting, technical aspects of painting and to think about how to present work. Visual Arts Painting Participant, 2016
- Completion of Visual Art Studio: Painting Techniques course or some previous experience in visual art practice is recommended.
- Participants must be aged over 18 years old.
Short courses for creatives and artists
We offer a range of courses in arts including drawing, painting and acting.
In week 2, an introduction to painting materials is given.
Suggested Oil colours
- Raw Umber
- Lemon Yellow
- Cadmium or Spectrum Yellow medium
- Cadmium or Spectrum Red
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Ivory Black
- Titanium White
- Oil sketch paper or canvas boards
- Stretcher bars (suggest 12''x16'', or 16''x20'')
- Canvas sufficient to stretch over chosen size
- Small container of Gesso Primer.
- Oil painting medium: Low toxic paint medium (odourless)
- Disposable palette
- Palette knife
- Rags and paper towel
- Glass jar with lid for brush cleaning
- Masking tape
- A variety of brushes, flat, round and filbert, ranging in sizes
- 2'' house painting brush, (for priming)