This ground-up introduction to essential painting techniques will give you the confidence to develop and exhibit your own work.
Visual Art Studio: Painting Techniques is ideal for adults looking for an introduction to the practice and study of painting.
Located in the University of Melbourne's renowned arts precinct at Southbank, this part-time, year-long course will help you gain the fundamental skills and knowledge needed to enhance your ideas and practice.
Guided by practising artists and educators, you will develop the confidence to work independently and deepen your relationship with contemporary art.
You will cover essential techniques, including:
- Painting Techniques is a highly structured course and it provides a strong foundation that encompasses learning about colour theory, paint quality, use of different brushes to mix paint, to learning how to paint with oil, acrylic, watercolour, grisaille, hard edged techniques, as well as contemporary art methods such as spray paint.
- Analysis of pigments, grounds, media and brush techniques through to finishing and glazing.
The program culminates in an end-of-year exhibition, where you will publicly exhibit the work you have created.
- No prior experience is necessary, although passion and an ability to work independently are important, as is the desire to develop your own ideas, experience and relationship with contemporary art.
- Students will need to provide their own creative course materials and can purchase a discounted pack from partner store. Approximately one week before the course begins, student will be sent an information sheet, detailing exactly what they need to purchase.
- This course is suitable for participants aged 18+.
Explore more short courses for creatives and artistsWe offer a range of courses in arts including drawing, painting and acting.
There are no upcoming dates for this course.
Want to know about future sessions?
Register your details and we will email you about future intakes.